Ten facts you didn't know about Pieces of Me
Oh, Pieces of Me, you warm sunny little bundle of…um…joy. *says with little conviction*
Of course, the story has many moments of joy, but it’s not as sweet as you might think.
To celebrate the sale of Pieces of Me across nearly all e-tail platforms, I’ve put together ten fun little facts.
1. The story was inspired by an article I read about a twenty-one-year-old college student who had allegedly been killed by a drunk driver. Her parents found a bucket list among her possessions. The parents, as well as people all around the world, fulfilled the items on the bucket list on the college student’s behalf. http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/parents-mourn-daughters-death-by-living-her-bucket-list/
2. Mercy Island, the fictional coastal town where the story is set is based on my childhood memories of Tannum Sands, a beautiful beachside town on the coast of Central Queensland, Australia, where I grew up.
3. Hannah was the first character I had written about with a larger sized body (more like my own). I admit, and this is only due to my own body issues, that I struggled to accept that a gorgeous, sexy hero like Bear would fall head over heels for her.
But I soon got over that, and together they steamed so much you could almost lick the perspiration from the screen. Needless to say, I’ve written many more protagonists with big sexy bodies.
4. Bear, the hunky builder hero, who has the most amazing heart, was named after my cat. (Don’t judge me. It worked).
5. Unlike my brave, gorgeous heroine, Hannah, who absolutely rocked it on the beach in a pink bikini, I still remain someone who has never wore a bikini, and I probably never will.
6. The two main characters in Pieces of Me were originally written as being older. However, on suggestion from my publisher, their ages were lowered, and the story took on the themes and sexiness expected of a new-adult story.
7. Pieces of Me was originally intended to be the first book in a series. The next books didn’t eventuate, but you never know.
8. I had to consult my husband (a devoted surfer in his teenage years) for the surfing lingo throughout the book.I have experience with ‘attempting’ to surf and subsequently falling off, so I was able to accurately depict the wipe-out scenes.
9. Penny, the Aussie Shepherd dog that trips Hannah over in the opening scene is based on my own dog - an Aussie Shepherd named Penny.
10. The life advice given to Hannah by her grandmother was written after my own cancer scare, so hopefully it reads authentically.
You can download your copy of Pieces of Me here.
A story about starting fresh, letting go, and risking it all for love…
For Hannah, Mercy Island is a refuge, a new beginning, and a place to find safety in her own skin. Here, in this peaceful, beachside place, she will rediscover all those pieces of herself her abusive ex stole away. For Bear, Mercy Island is a prison, a backwater, a place he can’t wait to escape. Away, in the city, he’ll chase his dreams and lose the bad memories haunting him.
When Hannah's home is damaged in an ugly storm, Bear offers his handyman services to repair it—a last job and a pretty girl to pass the time before he heads out. But Hannah is terrified to lose herself in another relationship, and Bear isn’t in it for the long haul.
However, their simmering sexual attraction refuses to be ignored, and just because love isn’t on the line doesn’t mean sex isn’t on the table. A no-strings-attached brief fling to curb the tension and take the edge off. No ties. No emotions. No pain.
But love has a way of coming in the windows, even when you’ve slammed the door, if only Hannah and Bear can stop looking to the past and find hope in their future.
Download your copy of Pieces of Me for $1.99 here.